Once seen as staple for your university meals, pesto can actually be a nutritious addition to your plate.
Made from olive oil, parmesan cheese, basil and pine nuts, this sauce is a packed with benefits, such as protein, healthy fats and antioxidants.
Although slightly more calorie-dense than your classic arrabiata, Sacla’ jars are perfect for creating midweek meals for when you’re short on time, while containing essential minerals to support good health.
Here are four ways to get creative with pesto.
Pesto-Topped Salmon with Rocket
With just six ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes, this Omega-3 rich roast salmon is positively enlivened by the Sacla’ Classic Pesto crust.
The fresh Italian basil not only tastes delicious, but also fills the kitchen with the fragrant bouquet of Liguria while the peppery rocket is perfect alongside the nutty Grana Padano and Pecorino Romano cheeses and pine nuts.
- 2 salmon fillets, skin on
- ½ jar Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto
- 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Small handful Parmesan, grated
- 6 asparagus stalks
- Fresh rocket to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan
- Arrange the salmon fillets on a non-stick baking tray
- In a small bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and Sacla’ Basil Pesto
- Press half of the mixture on top of each fillet
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the fish is cooked through
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water into a pan. Add the asparagus and cook for 1-3 minutes, until bright green
- Serve the salmon on a bed of rocket and asparagus
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Bolognese
This recipe is a super quick and easy take on a true Italian classic. From start to finish you’ll have this on the table in 20 minutes. The secret ingredient is a jar of Sacla’ Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto made from tomatoes which have spent seven days (yes seven days!) drying under the Mediterranean sun.
These, along with the fresh Italian Basil and Grana Padano cheese deliver a delicious depth of flavour to this family favourite.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar Sacla’ Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 400g spaghetti
- Parmesan to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil into a pan and fry the onion and mince until browned
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook thoroughly
- Stir in the Sacla’ Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Meanwhile, add the spaghetti to a pan of salted, boiling water and cook as per pack instructions
- Drain the spaghetti and mix in with the mince and other ingredients
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan
Creamy Pasta with Classic Pesto
With all the flavour and aroma of the Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto gently mixed through garlic, mushrooms and streaky bacon (or you could use Pancetta), this is a proper Italian pasta dish, just like Mamma would love to make!
The creamy sauce with plenty of freshly milled black pepper and Parmesan transforms the Tagliatelle into a midweek marvel.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 200g tagliatelle
- ½ jar Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto
- 150ml tub single cream
- 1 handful pitted black olives
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Gently heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large deep sided frying pan
- Add the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden
- Add the garlic and mushrooms then cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in lightly salted boiling water as per the pack instructions
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water and ad to the bacon, garlic and mushrooms, then stir together
- Add the Classic Basil Pesto, cream and the reserved cooking water to the pan
- Season and mix gently. Add the olives and cook for a minute more.
- Place the pasta in a warm serving dish and sprinkle abundantly with Parmesan