Seeking a little comfort to warm you through this winter? Look no more. The combination of turmeric and black pepper here are a dynamic duo which help to fight inflammation and increase circulation. Served here as a chai style sweet milky drink, the pepper is hidden by the sweet spices and the colour of the turmeric gives this warming drink its fantastic golden colour. “Those who consume this herb are less susceptible to colds, coughs and congestion. Enjoy a daily drink of turmeric milk, or alternatively add to soups and curries,” says Jenny Tschiesche, nutritionist as Indigo Herbs (indigo-herbs.co.uk)
4 Indigo Herbs Cardamom Pods
500ml Unsweetened Plant Milk
2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
Pinch of Black Pepper
2 Tsp Yacon Syrup
1. Start by grinding the caramom pods in a pestle and mortar.
2. Add the turmeric, cinnamon & black pepper and combine for a few more minutes.
3. Next, heat plant milk in a heavy bottomed pan on a low heat.
4. Then, add the ground spices and cardamon husks to the milk via a sieve to avoid lumps.
5. Stir well, as it simmers for a few minutes and allow to bubble/boil slightly to begin to infuse and reduce very slightly for a creamy texture.
6. Add yacon syrup to pan and stir so it dissolves.
7. Once hot, use a slotted spoon to remove the cardamom husks and pass the liquid through a sieve just incase of leftover bits.
8. Pour into 2 small mugs, if you’d like sprinkle extra turmeric on surfaces, serve hot and enjoy!