Are you taking part in Veganuary this year? In 2020, 400,000 people signed up to this annual event, pledging to give up all animal products, but getting enough nutrients through a vegan diet can be tough. Enter Whitworths new Protein by Nature ready-to-eat range, which is 100 percent vegan and contains 20g of natural plant-based protein in each 250g pouch (8g per 100g). Each product is an exciting mix of internationally-inspired flavours and ingredients such as pinto beans, quinoa and wheatberries to help shake up plant-based mealtime occasions.
Delicious on their own or as part of a meal, Protein By Nature offers four beans pulses and grain varieties, including Mexican Spicy Grains, Indian Lentil Dhal, Brazilian Smoky Beans and Moroccan Grains. Ready to eat in just two minutes, they can be consumed as a main for one or a side for two. The ready meals contain all nine essential amino acids, have no additives or flavourings and are low in sugar and saturated fats.
For those considering a move to a diet that is more vegan but have previously been put off by current products on offer that either masquerade as being healthy, are inconvenient to prepare in their busy lifestyles or simply compromise on taste, Protein by Nature addresses all of those concerns. Want to try it for yourself? Try this delicious vegan chilli recipe from Whitworths.
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 white onions, peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (double if you like it hot!)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g tin of black beans, including the liquid
- 1x 400g tin of red kidney beans, drained
- Lime wedges and guacamole to serve
- 2 x Whitworths Protein by Nature Mexican Spicy Grains
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil followed by the chopped carrots, celery and onion. Give everything a good mix, season with salt and pepper, then fry for 10 minutes. Stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Then add the garlic, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, black beans with its liquid and the drained red kidney beans. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste then serve with lime wedges, guacamole and Whitworths protein by nature Mexican spicy grains microwaved for 2 minutes.